National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe still ‘fighting for his life’ after DC shooting

West Virginia National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe was still “fighting for his life” on Saturday, three days after he was shot in an ambush-style attack in Washington, D.C., which also claimed the life of his fellow National Guard officer Sarah Beckstrom.

Appearing on “FOX & Friends Weekend,” West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey said Wolfe remained in “very serious” condition, adding that his family was pleading for prayers.

Morrisey said Wolfe comes from a long line of “folks who have contributed to service — local service and military service — so he’s got a tight-knit group really pulling for him right now.”

Rep. Riley Moore (R-W.Va), appearing on the show earlier in the day, said Wolfe’s father is a deputy sheriff in Berkeley County, and “Andy wanted to follow in those footsteps and serve his nation as a National Guardsman.”

Moore provided few details on Wolfe’s current condition, but said, “Andy is hanging on.” He has undergone at least one surgery since the shooting.

“He’s a fighter, and his family has told me that, time and time again, he is a fighter,” the rep added. “But above all, what they want here is for everybody to continue to pray. I believe in the power of prayer and I can promise you his parents believe in the power of prayer. … Please keep praying.”

Wolfe, a 24-year-old Air Force staff sergeant, had been deployed to the nation’s capital as part of the Trump administration’s efforts to crack down on what it has called rampant crime in major cities across the U.S. He and Beckstrom, a 20-year-old Army specialist, were shot at close range on Wednesday afternoon, just blocks away from the White House.

The alleged gunman has since been identified as 29-year-old Afghan citizen Rahmanullah Lakanwal. After firing off his rounds, he himself was shot by another member of the National Guard.

Both Beckstrom and Wolfe were hospitalized in very critical condition.

The following day, President Trump announced Beckstrom’s death during a Thanksgiving call to U.S. troops, remembering her as a “highly respected, young, magnificent person” and “outstanding in every way.”

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, Lakanwal was charged with three counts of assault with the intent to kill while armed and criminal possession of a weapon. In the wake of Beckstrom’s death, U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro said he would also face a charge of first-degree murder.

Sarah Beckstrom.
This photo provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office on Thursday, Nov. 27, 2025, shows National Guard member Specialist Sarah Beckstrom. (U.S. Attorney's Office via AP)

The upgraded charges come after Attorney General Pam Bondi vowed to “do everything in our power to seek the death penalty against that monster.”

An investigation into the motive for the shooting remains ongoing.

According to officials, Lakanwal entered the U.S. in September 2021 through the Biden administration’s Operation Allies Welcome initiative, a program that evacuated and resettled Afghan allies who worked with the U.S. during the 20-year war against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., has been identified as 29-year-old Afghan citizen Rahmanullah Lakanwal.
Getty

The suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., has been identified as 29-year-old Afghan citizen Rahmanullah Lakanwal. (Getty)

Lakanwal worked alongside the CIA in so-called “Zero Units,” groups of Afghan commandos who carried out missions planned by the agency and played a key role in the chaotic U.S. withdrawal from the country.

In the last four years, he’d been living in Bellingham, Wash, with his wife and five kids and working as a delivery driver. He applied for asylum during the Biden administration, but it was granted this year under Trump.

In the days since the shooting, the Trump administration has halted all asylum decisions and paused issuing visas for people traveling on Afghan passports, seizing on the tragedy to escalate its crackdown on immigration.

With News Wire Services

Want more insights? Join Working Title - our career elevating newsletter and get the future of work delivered weekly.